This is what it looks like when we go to school…
| What you can't see is the mom smiling on the other side of the camera. |
| We work hard and have plenty to do. |
This is what it looks like when we don’t…
| No explanation needed. |
| These are potato chips for the American Girl doll made out of dried glue...yes, we have time to sit around and watch glue dry. They are quite amazing though...only my Brookie could come up with this. |
| Mice up our sleeves. |
| Time to experiment with the hair. |
I truly love my new life here in my new home. I live in a beautiful city with generous and hospitable people. We are surrounded by amazing foods, a rich history, and new experiences. As we’ve learned about our new language and culture, God has taught us a lot about ourselves and about Himself.
Here’s what I’ve learned about myself…
I LOVE making schedules and lists and having a plan. Okay, I already knew that about myself and you did too if you’ve been around me for more than 42 seconds. (I also love the number 42 by the way.)
What I’ve actually learned is that I have a sad and alarming dependence on schedules.
The school schedule here has been the hardest thing for me to embrace. I’m an old dog and can’t seem to learn this new trick. I love the school the kids are in. It is filled with wonderful people who love education, and more importantly, love my kids.
The teachers have been on strike here…full and partial strikes…sometimes no school, and sometimes shortened days. If I can just complain for a second here…when they are only in school for three and a half hours anyway, when you shorten it you’re left without much time.
I’d love to have a full understanding of all the reasons behind this strike and I’m sure the teachers deserve what they are asking for, but I don’t have enough time to learn the language that will help me understand the reasons behind the strike when the kids don’t go to school long enough for me to study and practice.
Samo kažem…(Just sayin...)
Samo kažem…(Just sayin...)
Okay…so that’s what I’ve learned about myself…
that I am weak and tired…
that I need a schedule too much…
that I depend on my need to control things more than I’d like to admit…
that I cry when the schedule that I’ve neatly written out gets changed three times in an hour….
Clearly, I have issues.
Here’s what I’ve learned about God…
His strength is made perfect in my weakness.
He wants me to need Him most of all,
and depend on Him for everything,
and cry out to Him.
He knows my issues and loves me.
He knows your issues and loves you too.
A great lesson that God has to teach me many times over too. I read a verse today, "Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power!" Eph. 6:10. I have to remember to rest in His power, not my own, because if I'm in control, it turns into a big mess! Miss you friend! Can't wait to see you!
ReplyDelete