Saturday, October 9, 2010

Solo Trip to Belgrade


Okay, this picture really has nothing to do with the post.  I just love it.  I guess if I think about it this sweet little one is like the sister Brooke never got and this post is about sisterhood...so...there ya go.
I took a couple of pictures on my phone, but after some terribly unfortunate happenings we are unable to upload them to the computer.



Well, I am proud to report that I've returned from my first successful solo out of town trip.  I went to Belgrade to enjoy a meeting of Sisters from around the country.  We had almost 400 ladies from over forty different cities gathered together.  It was a joy to  share in worship, teaching and fellowship.  

I left here with directions to my friend's flat, correct change for the toll booth and fog...lots of fog.
I'll be honest...I prayed a lot on the way...between the stress of driving with SERIOUS fog...like I've never driven through before, and the fear that one of the bridges might be closed rendering my meticulous directions useless I was doing some praying.  Thankfully, I got behind an 18-wheeler going a good speed and just stayed right there behind him until the fog began to lift.  The bridge was open and I made it to my friend's place without any problems.  God is good.  

The conference was a blessing.  One of the speakers was talking about ways that women can show love to each other...some of them are universal and some are not.  She suggested things like:
    *ironing a friend's laundry for her
    *sending a note of encouragement
    *giving a hug
    *spend a whole day in prayer for her
    *giving her some chocolate...a personal favorite
    *helping her with her pickling
These are just a few of the things she talked about.  I love the last one...it gave me that "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore" kind of feel.  It also reminded me of my friend Kristin, who when she found out we were moving here, offered to help me learn how to can.  Kristin is just one of those "let me help you do your pickling" kind of friends.

As I drove back I was praying for a friend who has some medical concerns and was thinking how great it is to have sisters.  Sisters all over the world.  What a blessing it is to get a great word of encouragement, or to know someone has been praying for you that day, to get  a note in the mail, or care package with real salsa in it...sometimes it is a hug, or other times a really great laugh...sometimes it is a friend who will parallel park your car for you in downtown Belgrade.  I love the way that we can show love to each other and am grateful to my Father for blessing me with so many who love me.  With all of my issues and condissues...I have sister/friends who still love on me.  I was humbled and thankful.  I am richly blessed and am asking the Lord to help me bless others abundantly.

Okay, I can't close this post without including a funny little side story...I have two American friends who where there today, both of whom speak much better Serbian than I do, neither of whom seemed to be in sight when I was drowning in language.
Well, we got to stand up to let everyone know what city we were from as they announced the places from all over Serbia that were represented.  A sweet lady behind me was thrilled to see I was from Novi Sad.  She began to talk to me right as both of my friends left...we were leaving to move the cars because we'd used up our 180 minutes of parking...I was trying to leave too and was trying my best to say this to the nice lady.  I was trying to tell her I had to move my car and that I would love to talk to her as soon as I got back, but I couldn't think of the word for "to move".  I asked her if she understood and she said, "Yes, you live in Novi Sad and you have a car."...Well, not exactly...I'm now starting to worry that they might send "the spider" (they don't mess around with wimpy things like tow trucks in these parts...no, they use these crane like things that are called spiders to pick your car up) to take my car away.  Worrying about one thing while trying to speak in my new language about another thing doesn't work...
So, I finally just walked away, hoping she didn't think I was the rudest kind of friend who wouldn't help you pickle your fall harvest.   As soon as we returned she found me again...thankfully, she was not deterred by my earlier mid-conversation departure.  She continued to tell me that her son lived in Novi Sad and something about a church near one of the pijacas (a farmer's market type place), and needing an address, and could I help her and a phone number and a text message...it was all quite confusing...again...a sea of women and none of my English/Serbian speaking friends are in sight.
Finally, we had to skip out a little early and she stopped me on the way out to write down her phone number (or maybe it is her son's phone number...I really don't know) and she wrote down something about texting her.  I smiled and told her I would be happy to...(happy to what I really don't know...there's no telling what I've gotten myself into).  So, now my mission is to find a way to show this lady some sisterly love.  I wish she's just asked me to help her can some beets or something easy like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment